Monday, August 12, 2019

Antennas in the Burbs

This will be a dynamic post as I will seek ideas on how to place antennas in the little chunk o' suburbia I call home.

This is the yard... Let the hair yanking begin!



DESCRIPTION OF WHAT THIS IS - Straight up is approx 3 to 6 degrees west of true north. It is a total of approx. 165' deep and 70' wide. The teal boxes with aqua outlines are the house and garage, respectively.

The green lines are the chain link fences dividing the yards. The left fence is about 80' and the right maybe 90'. They're probably like 36" high except the north, which has 6' wooden picket fence sections on the opposite yard maybe 3/4ths of the width. The fences do not enter the front yard on either side.

There is a medium-sized Maple (35' tall maybe)  in the SW part of the "parkway". The white blob in the rear-center is a Tea Tree and the blobs to the left are Rose of Sharon shrubs. There is actually a third one north of those under the drop, but I covered it with grass when I edited the pic to remove the large willow trees we had cut down this summer.

The power/utility  drop is the RED LINE. It dissects the yard diagonally from about 40' in the center to the far northeast corner. Utility/power lines run above the north end of the property. A real PITA!

One thing... our electrical service needs to be updated as it's still old 60 Amp service. I wonder if I could get them to take it underground instead of a drop when that is done?  I don't mind running over/under data lines, but power drops, no way! But the drop severely limits my options, to say the least.

I do not have a tower or mast right now. I really need one, but flat wallets speak loudly! But I have a UHF corner reflector I need to put up since our local PBS affiliate sold the license to the FCC last year... for a measly $18M.. probably all spent already on Yachts and such for the old dumbfucks who run Central Michigan University's media wing. A local standalone AM just sold for more than that a month or two back! So, now I need a TV antenna. I do have some mast pipe but nothing I can use for taller than maybe 20'.

3 comments:

  1. I have a similar situation at my QTH with the power line, with the added bonus of a power line for a street light running along one side of the property, meaning nothing can be mounted anywhere on that side. I've looked into it and it costs something like $50 per foot of powerline that has to be buried, making a job like this several thousand dollars in total. Nothing to be done unless I win the lottery (in which case I'm buying a big rural plot somewhere).

    ReplyDelete
  2. $50/ft??? Ain't no way I'd pay that... not gonna happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ANd I totally agree on the large plot o' rural land!

    ReplyDelete