Friday, August 9, 2019

A tip for using online SDR's for weak signal hunting

I have found that using online SDR's for hunting weak DX is an awesome thing. I still have far too many *physical* radios and I use them daily, but the KiwiSDR's in particular have become my closest technological friends! Here is a few tips I have used for pulling out those really faint AM and SSB signals.

#1 - I *always* reduce the AGC THRESHOLD from it's default of -130dB to around -70db or so. Left at -130, the AGC will smash all the noise floor up into your audio on all but the strongest signals. Reducing it to around -70 takes all the hiss and crackle down to a reasonable level and is FAR easier on the ears. Pull it up a bit at a time if need be.

#2 - I use the SSB mode filter on very weak AM signals, especially when some interfering signal is close to the carrier frequency of the signal I'm hunting. This allows me to take the whistle or splatter out of the audio so I can hear it better. This is actually very similar to using radios with "AM Sync" mode.

#3 - I always widen the SSB passband filter width from it's default narrow "Tin Can" width to full fidelity on both AM and SSB signals. That restores the full audio response of the bass and highs, especially on music.

The following pic illustrates what I'm talking about.


I hope this helps you pull out those exotic signals hiding in the mud! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment